In their latest financial report, MultiChoice has reported a steady increase in subscribers for the year ending in March 2022.
According to the pay-TV operator, DStv and GOtv subscribers grew in the year under review, by just over 900 000 subscribers, bringing it to a total of over 9 million DStv subscribers in South Africa (41 per cent of the total) and more than 12 million subscribers in the rest of sub-Saharan Africa (59 per cent of the total).
The report revealed that MultiChoice’s growth came from lower DStv packages for the mass market, with DStv Access and DStv EasyView subscribers showing an increase of 7 per cent from 4.6 million to 4.9 million subscribers in South Africa during the year under review.
As the pay-TV operator continues to shed channels, MultiChoice says it’s increasingly focusing on producing its own local content and has managed to increase its local content production by 32 per cent year-on-year to 6 028 hours over the reported financial year. As a result, MultiChoice has added a local content library of close to 70 000 hours.
Furthermore, the report revealed that locally produced content accounted for 47 per cent of total general entertainment content spend, and MultiChoice says they remain on track to achieve a target of 50 per cent by 2024.
According to the pay-TV operator, Showmax subscribers were up 68 per cent year-on-year, whilst monthly online users of MultiChoice’s connected video services increased 28 per cent year-on-year.
Despite having increased their overall subscribers base, MultiChoice’s DStv Premium and DStv Compact Plus subscribers declined by 4 per cent in South Africa, for the year under review; this is according to analysts familiar with the company’s activities.