In Kenya, broadcasters, content creators, and online streaming service platforms will begin classifying content under new regulations to keep up with the increase in content production.
BMA sources reveal that commercial TVs and radios will review 70 per cent of the content broadcasted for age suitability and evaluate if the shows are appropriate for viewing from a certain age, with the Kenya Film and Classification Board (KFCB) reviewing the other 30 per cent.
The new regulations will target pre-recorded shows, such as movies, advertisements, and telenovelas.
Streaming services like Netflix, Showmax, and Amazon will review 70 per cent of their films and include KFCB’s age-suitability symbols.
KFCB Acting CEO Christopher Wambua indicated that the classification process of one-day content can take a week, and they are unable to keep up. Thus the participation of the industry will ensure conformance while coping with digital expansion.
The classification regulation in Kenya will be applied in the following manner:
(i) A film of 45 minutes to one hour costs US$38,97 to US$51.96
(ii) Commercials: US$8.66
(iii) Music items: US$2.60 per item
Non-compliance with the classification regulations will result in broadcasters or online streaming services giving KFCB 100 per cent of their content with an additional fine of US$866.55, based on the Films and Stageplays Act, Chapter 222.
The regulator indicated that KFCB is currently understaffed and cannot handle all the legal requirements to inspect and classify all audiovisual content for broadcasting, exhibition and distribution in the country.
According to BMA sources, the new regulation will simplify the classification process for broadcasters and drive a regulated system for the broadcasting industry, given the increased competition from streaming platforms.